Oriental rugs are valuable and unique pieces that add character and beauty to any home. But their intricate designs and vibrant colors make them prone to damage if improperly handled in their cleaning process. Incorrect stain removal can cause color bleed, ruining both its aesthetic value and monetary value. To protect your rug’s beauty and integrity, you must apply special care while it is being cleaned. With proper maintenance, your silk oriental rugs will remain untarnished with pristine hues that truly stand out from all other decorations!
Why Rug Bleeding Occurs
Several factors can cause color bleeding during the process of oriental rug cleaning, which include:
- Natural dyes that are not colorfast. Handcrafted Oriental rugs usually contain natural fibers and pigments, with dyes that may not always be colorfast. Unfortunately, water-soluble dyes are particularly susceptible to bleeding when cleaned in the wrong manner; flooding is one of those techniques that should definitely be avoided if possible!
- Damaging cleaning methods. Oriental rugs should never be dry or steam cleaned, as the residues left behind can cause the dye to run and irreparably damage the rug.
- Application of excessive dye. Utilizing too much dye when coloring a rug can be harmful, as large quantities may rinse out during the initial cleaning cycles and discolor nearby areas without proper stabilizing or safeguarding.
- Exposure to alkaline substances or high heat during cleaning. Even though dyes in rugs may be resistant to color transfer or perhaps stabilized, they can still become unstable when exposed to extreme heat or alkaline substances often found in cleaning and stain removal products. Furthermore, fading is a potential risk due to such exposure as well.
- Pet accidents. If pet urine is not immediately and properly eliminated, its corrosive properties of it can cause the dye to bleed before or during cleaning.
Don’t let your beautiful oriental rug become dull and colorless! Our expert cleanings can help you protect it from premature fading and color bleeding. Here are some of our team’s best tips:
- Keep your rug out of direct sunlight. The ultraviolet rays from the sun can break down the color molecules in your rug, making it fade. To prevent this, keep your rug out of direct sunlight and use other methods to dry it if necessary.
- Clean up accidents right away. To facilitate the removal of any stains or blemishes, begin by blotting as much liquid from your rug with white paper towels or a white cloth. Afterward, enlist the aid of professional oriental rug cleaners to carefully remove what remains. Store-bought stain removers should be avoided; they may bleach your beautiful carpet, cause color bleeding and ruin delicate fibers.
- Schedule regular rug cleaning appointments. Keep your rug looking like new and its colors vibrant with an annual cleaning from our experts. Our team will analyze your rug to decide on the ideal cleaning solution that preserves it while avoiding any color fading or bleeding. Schedule a yearly appointment today to ensure you keep enjoying the beauty of your cherished floor covering for years!
If you’d like to ensure your rug is properly and respectfully handled, contact Airport Chem-Dry at (412) 262-2234 today! Our team of expert carpet cleaners in Pittsburgh are devoted to keeping your rugs looking their best.